Sunday, February 19, 2006

Isaiah 40 verses 27-31

Going back in time, and recording songs written by my father has been refreshing for me, and now we are going back again to some songs written by my Father ... in Heaven. We are going back about 3 -- thousand years.

There is something exciting about songs that come directly from the Bible. That's why I chose this song. Learning this is easier than memorizing scripture. And it makes me jealous of all those folks who can sing the psalms in Hebrew. The trace of power that comes through in the English translation of this song is awesome. It is unmistakable evidence of God's provision for us. Try writing something, and see if it is still this vibrant and alive after a thousand years ... enjoy.

Here are the Lyrics:
Isaiah 40 verses 27-31

[Chorus]
G D C
Do you not know? Have you not heard?
D G
The Lord is the everlasting God,
D C
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
D G
He will not grow tired or weary,
D C
... and His understanding ...
D G
... no one can fathom. ... He gives
D C
strength to the weary and increases
D G
the power of the weak.
D C D
... ... ...

[Verse 1]
Em D
Why do you say, O Jacob,
D Em
and complain, O Israel,
Em D
"My way is hidden from the Lord;
Em D
( Why do you say, O Jacob,
D Em
and complain, O Israel, )
Em D
my cause is disregarded by my God"?

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
Em D
Even youths grow tired and weary,
Em D
and young men stumble and fall;
Em D
Even youths grow tired and weary,
Em D
and young men stumble and fall;

[Bridge]
G D C
but those who hope in the Lord
D G
will renew their strength.
D C
They will soar on wings
D G
like eagles; ...
D C
they will run and not
D G
(not) grow weary,
D C D
they will walk and not be faint.

[Chorus]
Note: I recorded this song in the key of C, but the chords above are in G. If I hired a real singer it would be better, but in the mean time ... wow, this is fun. All verses taken verbatim from the New International Version (NIV).

UPDATE: Here are some more lyrics and chords I've been using. Hope that helps.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've song this song a couple times at a Bible study. When did your dad write it? I've been trying to find out more information abut the song.

Vernon Singleton said...

When I said this one was written by my "Father" instead of my "father" ... I meant that it was written by my Father in Heaven, that is to say, the Master of the Universe, Adonai, Jesus, Moshiach, the Rock of my salvation.

As to who put it to music, or when, I am not sure, but certainly they did not do so without His help :-)

As for more information about the song, please note that the lyrics come verbatim from the Bible ... Isaiah 40 verses 27-31 ... the New International Version.

Anonymous said...

Thank-you for your response. I do like that they are exactly from Isaiah; I'm still looking for the composer of the tune of the song. If you happen to know that'd be awesome - if not, I'll keep looking.

MRM said...

The music to this song was recorded late 80s early 90s by two women from Houghton college. I had a tape and the ENTIRE tape was NIV scripture. This was the only "breakout hit" as far as I can tell.

Anonymous said...

In 1992, Bel Canto Choir at Azusa Pacific sang and recorded this song, and I believed it to have been written by an APU 2nd or 3rd year student at the time. I was in this choir :) The name of our album that year was Isaiah 40. It was a HIGHLIGHT of my college life!

Anonymous said...

sorry, i believed the composer of the tune to have been a Sophomore or Junior at that time. that was what i meant in the last comment :)

Anonymous said...

Hi.. actually my parents went to college with the couple that wrote this song. I believe the couple wanted to remain anonymous. I'm not completely sure. The chords are a little bit different than what is posted.. I would be more than happy to send them by your way if you'd like...

Trinity Grace said...

Anonymous,

I'd love original chords to Isaiah 40 - if you've got them, could you post them here?

Anonymous said...

really an eye opener for me.

- Robson

-Pamm said...

I have been searching for the chords of this song. Thanks! It was a big in my youth group, spoke to me personally, and now I want to share it with the kids I minister to.

PurplePenguin said...

If it was from Houghton, I may know one of the people who wrote it. My H.S. music teacher was from there at about that time & brought this with her. She was always elusive as to the origin & the chords are the ones she gave me. Does the last name Lloyd sound familiar to anyone?